Saturday, October 30, 2010

Farewell from Greece

Well, the tournament is FINALLY over.  Who knew eleven days of chess could be so grueling.  In the final round I played on board #2.  If I won the game, I would get the silver medal.  Unfortunately, I made a blunder in the middlegame and lost.  I came in 5th place overall.  Not too bad for my first major international chess tournament.  It was a great learning experience and I spent a lot of good time with my friends and made many new ones as well.

Congratulations to my coach (and friend) IM Steven Zierk who won the U18 World Championship gold medal.  I believe he is the first American to have ever won in that prestigious section.  Of course, I had to pay him 10 euros for our side bet, but I think he earned them.  If we make more bets like this, he'll be a grandmaster in no time.

I have many photos to post, but my Dad thinks we already packed the USB cable, so we will have to add them when we get home.  Our flight leaves in the middle of the night, and we will be traveling for over 20 hours.  Hopefully I'll get some sleep on the flight and have enough energy to join my brother trick-or-treating when we get home.  Bye for now...

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on a very fine performance!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Congratulations Cameron! All of us back home are proud of you for playing your heart out despite facing strong and experienced opponents.

    One small correction: Sam Shankland tied for first U18 two years ago, but he only brought home the bronze medal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cameron -

    Outstanding performance, you should be very proud!!! And your blog was great in that it was very broad across the culture, cities, and chess. You have a great future ahead young man!

    All the best,
    Jon Zierk

    ReplyDelete